19 July 2007

"When I found your organization, I found another way to honor my nephew's memory"


Hi Patti,

I wanted to send you a thank you e-mail right after we met for our Central Florida meet and greet, but I thought it would be nicer if I could attach a couple of pictures with my thank you.

I have only been angeling for 3 months, so I thought it would be nice to plan a little dinner for the local angels to meet. My hope is that we can begin to do this on a regular basis and begin to work together on projects for Soldiers Angels.

I have to say that my sister and brother-in-law were just blown away when Jan presented your gift. She gave us all pins and coins for our heroes, and then she presented the beautiful quilt. What an awesome gesture!

Patti, I can't begin to tell you how much that gift meant to my family! As you know, we lost my nephew to an IED in Baquba this past Valentines Day. We are all still very much in mourning, and it is caring gestures like this, that help us to overcome our grieving. The Living Legends team has done a fantastic job, and their kindness can never be repaid, but this gesture was totally unexpected. Your special gift will help us keep John's memory alive every time we see that quilt.

Cheryl and Tom are converting a guest bedroom into a memorial room for John, and this quilt is perfect for it. The first thing Tom said is "It's perfect; it is 1st Cav's colors!" John was so proud to serve the U.S. Army, and particularly the 1st Cavalry.

You see, John was a Canadian citizen fighting for the U.S. Army. He was in the process of becoming a citizen, actually was already eligible, but because of two deployments, had not had the time to make it official. The head of the INS and Homeland Security had a special ceremony up in Washington awarding John his citizenship dated February 14, 2007, the day he was killed. We were able to lay John to rest at Arlington as an American citizen.

I want you to know that this organization that you founded touches people's lives in ways you could never have imagined. In addition to helping our great men and women who are so bravely fighting for our nation, there are many people who are affected indirectly. The healing that comes from helping others is another great benefit.

When I found your great organization through some of my PGR friends, I found another way to honor my nephew's memory by helping his military family. It was extremely hard for my sister and brother-in-law to join, but now that they have adopted a wonderful soldier that stays in contact with them, I see the healing transform them every day.

Patti, you are a true angel! I am honored to be a part of this great organization, and look forward to the day I can thank you in person.

God Bless You!

Cat Brooks
PGR FL Help on the Homefront Coordinator

No comments: