11 May 2009

TweetToRemind - Who is your hero?

On January 29, 2006, ABC News anchorman Bob Woodruff's life changed In an Instant when an IED struck his vehicle in Taji, Iraq.

Bob was medevaced from the scene and received life-saving care in Iraq before being airlifted to Landstuhl, where he was joined by his wife and brother. Five weeks later he woke up at Bethesda Naval Medical Center, facing 14 months of rehab and recovery.

Through this experience Bob and his family had an opportunity to get to know many of our nation’s injured heroes and their families. Realizing they held a unique position to be a voice calling for tangible support, they started the Bob Woodruff Foundation.

In 2008, the foundation funded $3.4 million in program spending through grants to charitable orginzations estimated to have impacted about 516,000 service members, veterans, family members, and support personnel.

Their current project is the TweetToRemind campaign, which asks individuals and corporations to donate $5.25 or more in an effort to raise $1.65 million by the end of the Memorial Day weekend.


From Bob:

I have so many heroes in my life who have affected me in so many ways. But after what my family and I went through more than three years ago, my greatest heroes are the doctors, nurses, medics, soldiers, pilots and others who risk their lives on a daily basis to save injured soldiers and bring them back to their communities. They did it for me, and my family and I can never thank them enough.

As part of the TweetToRemind campaign, on Tuesday, May 12 bloggers and Tweeters are asked to show their support through a simple blog or tweet answering the question, "Who is your hero?" and encourage others to do the same.

Tomorrow you'll meet one of my heroes. Can't wait to see everyone else's!

No comments: