30 March 2009

Four more 173rd Paratroopers receive awards for actions during the battle of Wanat

Sgt. Michael T. Denton is awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action against an enemy of the United States during a ceremony held at the Airborne Walk on Eubanks Field Monday morning. Others receiving awards were Capt. Matthew R. Myer, third from right who was also awarded the Silver Star and Sgt. 1st Class David L. Dwzik, far right, who was awarded the Bronze Star with "V" device. Photo: Shannon Szwarc.


Myer, Denton and Dwzik were members of Chosen Company, 2nd Battalion, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team during the battle of Wanat on 13 July 2008.

"It's for my men. They fought very hard that day. They fought for each other and I'm just glad to be here to represent them," SFC Dwzik said.


SPC Aaron Davis is honored with a Silver Star for his actions near Wanat, Afghanistan on 13 July 2008. Photo: KLTV.


In a separate ceremony at Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas, Spc Aaron Davis was awarded the Silver Star for his actions in the same battle. View the short video here.

"To me, everybody in my unit was extraordinary soldiers, and we survived extraordinary combat situations, and we just went out and took care of business," said Davis. It was last July, in northeast Afghanistan, Davis' unit was ambushed in what turned out to be savage close quarter combat.

"We were surrounded by 200 something militant fighters," said Davis. "We took nine casualties, 27 wounded," said Davis. Davis saved the lives of three fellow soldiers, then while wounded himself, kept firing.

"I decided right there either I was walking off that battlefield, or they were putting me in a body bag," said Davis. "I couldn't leave my guys. I couldn't leave my boys." It earned him the purple heart, and the silver star. Davis says his bravery was inspired by his fellow soldiers.

"The people around me were made of stone," said Davis. "They weren't going to break." Davis was wounded twice in Afghanistan, suffering damage to his right eye. He's scheduled to be promoted to sergeant and will be stationed at fort Sam Houston in San Antonio.

No comments: